Ra’Shaun J. Kelley
E: [email protected]
White Collar & Financial
Ra’Shaun J. Kelley is the managing attorney of Kelley & Associates PLLC. He represents clients in a variety of business, corporate, and securities law matters. His practice covers commercial transactions and litigation. Ra’Shaun counsels public and private companies from a diversity of industries on matters of corporate structure & finance, business transactions, and regulatory compliance. Additionally, he serves as local counsel and outside general counsel to several U.S. and non-U.S. clients.
An aggressive litigator, Ra’Shaun represents businesses and individuals in commercial and securities litigation in both State and Federal Courts as well as in various alternative dispute resolution venues. He has a track record of success defending corporate officers, investment advisers, securities professionals and broker-dealers under investigation by the CFTC, FINRA, SEC, and in internal corporate investigations. Additionally, he represents individual investors in FINRA arbitration alleging claims of fraud, unauthorized trading, and unsuitable investments against their broker-dealers. Ra’Shaun’s success in the courtroom is complimented by his keen ability to avoid litigation and resolve disputes through negotiation when in the best interests of his clients.
- Represents a group of investors in a shareholder derivative action brought in the Southern District of New York, alleging claims of breach of fiduciary duty, securities violations, fraud, and misappropriation against a corporate director.
- Successfully represented an individual in connection with an investigation conducted by the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission into allegations of fraud with respect to pooled investments and managed accounts.
- Defending a multinational digital media corporation in a breach of contract claim brought in the New York Supreme Court Commercial Division.
- Lead counsel in commercial litigation defending a tech development company against twelve causes of action and personal liability of the corporate directors under the “piercing the corporate veil” and “alter-ego” doctrines.
White Collar Defense & Financial Services Internal Investigations
- Successfully defended a principal of a financial institution in connection with an internal investigation into allegations of misappropriation of trade secret.
- Successfully represented a broker-dealer in connection with an investigation conducted by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority into allegations of unauthorized trading, unsuitable investments, churning, and fraud.
An active member of the legal community, Ra’Shaun is a frequent speaker at conferences and panelist on topics related to securities regulation, dispute resolution, financial services, and contract law. Additionally, he is an active member of the American Bar Association Business Law Section where he founded the Young Lawyers Dispute Resolution Committee and served as Director of the Diversity Subcommittee. Other affiliations include the New York State Bar Association, Metropolitan Black Bar Association, and the New York County Lawyers Association.
Ra’Shaun received his Juris Doctorate from New York Law School, where he was a John Harlan Marshall Scholar, an Editor on the New York Law School Law Review, Associate with the Securities Arbitration Clinic, a member of the Dispute Resolution Team, and successfully competed in several negotiation and moot court competitions. Ra’Shaun received his Bachelor’s degree at SUNY Albany, where he studied business and criminal justice.
Business & Commercial Transactions