Ra’Shaun J. Kelley
E: [email protected]
White Collar & Financial
Ra’Shaun J. Kelley is the managing attorney of Kelley & Associates PLLC. He represents clients in business, corporate, and securities law matters. His practice covers commercial transactions and litigation. Ra’Shaun counsels public and private companies from a diversity of industries on matters of corporate structure & finance, business transactions, and regulatory compliance. Additionally, he serves as local counsel and outside general counsel to several U.S. and non-U.S. clients.
An aggressive litigator, Ra’Shaun represents businesses in commercial and securities litigation in both State and Federal Courts. He has a track record of successfully defending corporate officers, investment advisers, securities professionals and broker-dealers under investigation by the CFTC, FINRA, SEC, and in internal corporate investigations. Additionally, he represents individual investors in FINRA arbitration alleging claims of fraud, unauthorized trading, and unsuitable investments against their broker-dealers. Ra’Shaun’s success in the courtroom is complimented by his keen ability to avoid litigation and resolve disputes through negotiation when in the best interests of his clients.
- Represents a group of investors in a shareholder derivative action brought in the Southern District of New York, alleging claims of breach of fiduciary duty, securities violations, fraud, and misappropriation against a corporate director.
- Successfully represented an individual in connection with an investigation conducted by the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission into allegations of fraud with respect to pooled investments and managed accounts.
- Defending a multinational digital media corporation in a breach of contract claim brought before the New York Supreme Court Commercial Division.
- Lead counsel in commercial litigation defending a tech development company against twelve causes of action and personal liability of the corporate directors under the “piercing the corporate veil” and “alter-ego” doctrines.
White Collar Defense & Financial Services Internal Investigations
- Successfully defended a principal of a financial institution in connection with an internal investigation into allegations of misappropriation of trade secret.
- Successfully represented a broker-dealer in connection with an investigation conducted by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority into allegations of unauthorized trading, unsuitable investments, churning, and fraud.
An active member of the legal community, Ra’Shaun is a frequent panelist on the topics of securities regulation, dispute resolution, financial services, and contract law. Additionally, he is an active member of the American Bar Association Business Law Section where he founded the Young Lawyers Dispute Resolution Committee and served as Director of the Diversity Subcommittee. Other affiliations include the New York State Bar Association, Metropolitan Black Bar Association, and the New York County Lawyers Association.
Ra’Shaun received his Juris Doctorate from New York Law School, where he was a John Harlan Marshall Scholar, an Editor on the New York Law School Law Review, Associate with the Securities Arbitration Clinic, a member of the Dispute Resolution Team, and successfully competed in several negotiation and moot court competitions. Ra’Shaun received his Bachelor’s degree at SUNY Albany, where he studied business and criminal justice.
Yusef Abutouq is an associate at Kelley & Associates PLLC. His practice focuses on counseling clients on intellectual property matters and commercial transactions. Yusef advises businesses and entrepreneurs on the strategic use of trademarks, copyrights, patents, and trade secret protection. In addition, he assists start-ups and small businesses with entity formation, acquisition of business licenses, and registration with government agencies.
Outside the office, Yusef provides pro bono services to Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS), where he counsels low-income micro-entrepreneurs and minority-owned small businesses on legal matters such as commercial leasing, real estate, entity selection/formation, employment law, intellectual property, contracts, and liquor licensing.
Yusef earned his Bachelors of Science in Biochemistry from the University of Texas at Dallas. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from New York Law School, where he received certifications from Innovation Center of Law and Technology, The Center for Business and Financial Law, and the International Law Center. His prior experiences include the Financial Services Department of Cadwalader Wickersham and Taft, membership in the United States Patent & Trade Office Patent Clinic, and growing a legal tech startup.
Business & Commercial Transactions
Victoria H. Lee is a 3rd year law student at New York Law School, and summer law clerk at K&A. She focuses on international and corporate transactional law. She has worked extensively in matters involving international investment and trade, and international trade dispute, and federal securities law.
Ms. Lee has written and published law articles for CityLaw on legal topics relating New York City’s regulatory developments by reporting on administrative, legislative, and judicial decisions. She is a member of the Asian-Pacific American Law Students Association New York Law School chapter where she is the current president and chief student officer, as well as the International Law Students Association New York Law School Chapter, where she previously served as Vice President.
Victoria is a former pastry chef and French Culinary Institute alum, where she was trained in classical pastry arts.
She earned her B.A., from The Bernard M. Baruch College of the City University of New York, where she was Kappa Phi Lambda.